The Next Wave of Services Enabled by Combining Connected and Autonomous Vehicle Technology
Day 1:Morning Keynotes
Afternoon Track 1: In-Vehicle System, Connectivity and Security
Afternoon Track 2: Connectivity and Data Utilization in the Autonomous Era
Day 1: Tuesday, October 17
Shoko Nagai Conference Producer TU-Automotive
Car makers in the U.S., China and Europe are racing past car makers in Japan when it comes to connecting cars to the Internet. This is especially so in the context of leveraging cellular connectivity to deliver services, content, applications, integrate safety-related functionality associated with advanced forms of LTE and, ultimately, 5G technology. This session will discuss how can Japan catch-up and regain the leadership in the coming vehicle connectivity contest.
The IoT opens up new ways for the auto industry to expand new business opportunities. However the 'Internet of Vehicles' is just the beginning. IoT generates a huge volume of data, however data by itself has no meaning and this is why AI and machine leaning need come into play. Integration of these elements and the appropriate corporate structure is crucial to realise new business opportunities. Look at how OEMs should integrate IoT, Big Data management, AI and machine learning into their strategy, and how quickly and efficiently by creating a cross-functional team to facilitate this.
Understand how government is tackling challenges such as how to collect data and discover effective means of utilizing the data required for the connected car, and understand the Japanese governmentâ€™s vision for 5G and other communication networks
To provide safe and comfortable driving, autonomous technology needs to strike a balance between the driver being alert and being relaxed. Look at Mazdaâ€™s vision and technical approach to maximize the driverâ€™s experience
- Learn how levels of cognitive activity vary depending on the type of driving behaviour and the type of driver. Understand how the latest technology can provide the most comfortable driving experience
- Evaluate the importance of controlling the amount of information - such as environmental information - coming from sensors and telematics services depending on the driverâ€™s condition
- Examine how understanding the driverâ€™s physical and mental condition, combined with autonomous technology, can not only help prevent accidents and promote safe and secure driving, but also contribute to life expectancy in the long term
Learn how to drive new services and insights through advanced analytics, machine learning and AI. Recognize the value of telematics data and the extended role it can play in such as AI/machine learning/deep learning in automotive, determining vehicle profitability, end-to-end supply chain visibility, and customer lifecycle
Communication network plays a big role in the connected & autonomous car, and telematics. Discuss what communication protocols will become the de facto as well as the areas of collaboration and competition when it comes to data and information sharing.
As our cars become an extension of our connected lives, drivers and passengers pay closely attention to the features available to them in the car, whether infotainment or ADAS. Increased connected features and growing bandwidth needs pose several challenges to the automotive sector, which must be addressed taking into consideration both the end-usersâ€™ experience and their safety.
- Understand the challenges and complexities involved in in-vehicle connectivity, including bandwidth, latency, cabling and more
- Learn how new connectivity topologies can contribute to advanced Infotainment, Telematics and ADAS applications, by providing the flexibility of multi-stream, multi-hop daisy-chain and centralized networking
- Discover how a simplified in-vehicle network can reduce the number of cables and connectors, even with high-throughput bandwidth transmission over a single link, and support for different native interfaces on a single chip
- Learn how a higher level of functional safety can be achieved by using an OS employed in industrial machinery and systems where safety is a priority
- Examine how the security should be implemented in automotive based on best practice seen in the smartphone market
- Understand how software can realise functional safety and security for autonomous vehicles where safety is paramount
Progressing autonomous car and connectivity technology is lead to discussion regarding their use in providing mobility services. Discuss how in-vehicle systems should be developed in line with this trend
- Discover the type of in-vehicle architecture required to provide new mobility services while achieving safety and security
- Understand the high scalability solution to fit different approaches towards the integration of ECU
- Investigate the necessary connectivity architecture, including the cloud, for creating services
Much of the cybersecurity conversation over the past few years has been focused on why the automotive industry needs a cybersecurity strategy. However, despite the lack of a malicious widespread attack targeting the automotive space, we are seeing a shift in focus as OEMs and tier-one suppliers recognize the need for cybersecurity to prepare for whatâ€™s to come. In addition, various initiatives have been taken around standardization and security frameworks tailored for the automotive industry. These initiatives will play an important role in the future of connected cars
- Real life experiences in implementing a security in-depth strategy on a carputer, which has been designed for connected applications
- Examples of what OEMs and tier-one suppliers should think about when implementing a cybersecurity strategy and the operational impact of cybersecurity on the automotive value chain
- What types of hacking activities are going on in the darker parts of the web that will target the automotive industry and how security in-depth strategies, standardization initiatives and security frameworks will stand up against these future threats
Over the Air software update is an urgent requirement for auto OEMs. Traditional service bulletin notifications and service center updates are unable to meet the need and costly recalls are increasing.Â OTA holds the promise of cheap, fast, and recall-free update campaigns.
- Without stringent safety controls a software update might create a safety hazard and without stringent security controls a hacker could use the OTA system to install malware.Â Learn how OTA systems can ensure that the software updates do not create safety hazards and that security is never compromised
- OTA plays critical role in both safety and security. OEMs must maintain management control over the release and acceptance of trusted software going to the vehicle.Â Understand the importance of Supply Chain Trust Management which is often overlooked but critical component of the OTA service
- Examine how OTA systems can be designed to provide safe, secure and efficient updates, to manage software configuration on the vehicle and across the product line and to enforce Trust Management across the entire automotive supply chain
Todayâ€™s connectivity solutions wonâ€™t scale to keep up with the data demands required to keep cars safe and connected. Support the unquenchable thirst for global, always-on connectivity
- Examine how integrating satellite connectivity into a wireless solution will enable a scalable, full coverage solution that meets consumers skyrocketing demand for data
- Define steps you can take today e.g. incorporating satellite connectivity, to create a truly mobile, seamless connected service with unlimited internet applications in all environments
- Learn how to increase safety and security of connected vehicles with real time multicast updates â€“ and how it will save you millions compared to manual updates
There are numerous ways that OEMs and consumers can benefit when it comes to the usage of diagnostics data. The ways that car makers are using the power of remote diagnostics vary though. Examine the most recent research to discover practical approaches to improve the consumerâ€™s connected car experience
- Customer first - Evaluate how much remote diagnostics could be of help to make the customer life easier - e.g. avoid paying extra repair charge after the warranty period, and also contribute to brand improvement and grow the connected car market
- Understand what car makers can do to improve their services and revenue through examples of different approaches to using diagnostics data
- Define the practical steps to overcome challenges such as creating an internal division to drive the use of diagnositcs data, utilizing AI & machine learning to detect any occurrence of abnormality in a car
With the connected car and autonomous vehicle technology rapidly evolving, gain insights on how the future connected car needs to be adapted for the new mobility services
- Connectivity is essential to realize the autonomous car and improve its functionality. Examine what OEM is working on for firmware OTA and map data
- Identify the challenges and required approach to establish cloud computing and accelerate user experience in the autonomous car
- Analyze the connected car business model to improve the value of the vehicle by leveraging big data and customised data
This presentation will explore the use of connected data - vehicle, social, regional - to gain globally applicable and cost-saving insight, and automaker strategies for the mobility-as-a-service aftermarket
- Global insights from regional data: Leverage data & insight gained from markets of relatively high connected car penetration and apply it to make gains in lower penetration markets. Learn from case studies from outside of automotive industry.
- Be proactive not reactive - get social: Complement vehicle data with data gleaned from social media platforms to identify possible recall situations and better understand brand perception
- The aftermarket arena in an autonomous world: devise a strategy for providing vehicle maintenance and warranty management in a world where dealers are few and mobility services are many
Unveil the leading in-cabin vision AI technology, targeted for highly automated vehicles (HAVs) - detecting passengers' behavior with a high degree of accuracy, using over 30 analytics
- Discover the latest Silicon Valley technology for cameras using deep learning to detect human emotions and overall behavior - ready for mass production
- Understand the role of driver and occupants' behavior measurement to improve safety, security and overall user experience
- Learn about the new ridership economy, fueled by ambient services, hyper-targeted for riders of the next-gen autonomous vehicles based on riders' behavior, space and time - Identify the next breed of automotive business opportunities
Connectivity is essential to support V2X, data analysis and provide all sort of infotainment. Look at best practices and learn how data needs to be monitored and debate how infotainment is evolving as driven by on-board units, data analytics, voice recognition, and AR. What impact will vehicle automation have on infotainment moving forward?
Toshiro Muramatsu Deputy General Manager, Telematics Engineering Group, Connected Car and Services Engineering Department & HD Map Development Group, AD and ADAS Advanced Technology Development Department & Connected Car and Autonomous Drive Division Nissan Motor Co., Ltd.
Day 2: Wednesday, October 18
How should the driver and the car be connected to ameliorate driving assistance and the user experience in a new mobility society? This session takes a look at what we should expect from the connected car moving forward to help drivers with understanding driving assistance better and to provide information calling for attention through eCall to achieve the world of zero car accidents
Profile the structure of auto industry where cross-industry alliances collaborate closely to bridge between user needs and new technologies and create a new market and businesses
- Hear the latest demonstration experiment in collaboration with partners and local governments
- Identify where the gap lies between current mobility services and what future users will require?
- Bringing benefits and business: Explore the impact of a new mobility service platform, which leverages user traits and data, on urban transportation, regional mobility, and efficiency in freight
Advancing technology is influencing usersâ€™ and societyâ€™s needs in relation to mobility. Learn user needs for future mobility from mobility as a service case studies
- To gain not only the economic growth but also the sustainability, a new layer of the business is essential. Find out the way to collaborate with them
- Gain insights from best practices of the new mobility services on biggest barrier and what people value to put the mobility strategies into action
- Closed ecosystem to open ecosystem - Understand how the ecosystem will change to provide freedom of mobility and change the cities better
China is now ready to move to the next step of smart mobility. The launch of new mobility services is accelerating and the number of EV charging stations is dramatically increasing. Hear what Chinese automakers and service providers have to say and from this explore how Japan can ramp up its mobility strategy
- After-services and complete mobility services are popping up non-stop in China. Gauge the direction of mobility services based on mobility needs that will impact how we move
- Understand how rapid market growth for EVs in China impacts on global OEMs and other providers
- National policy and local governments are rapidly developing infrastructure for mobility. Collaboration between automakers and IT vendors is occurring exponentially. Compare this to whatâ€™s happening in Japan and understand where Japanese companies can catch-up
As connectivity, automation, and the sharing economy gain ground, discuss the user needsâ€™ herein, and what mobility solutions are required.
Explore from a technology perspective how the advances in autonomous technology and mobility can contribute to solving regional issues and to expanding the sharing economy
- Understand how new technology can alleviate issues such as the lack of regional transportation facilities and last mile delivery. What are the business opportunities?
- Taking into consideration the possibility of full autonomous driving, identify where new technology can benefit a society in terms of safety & regulation
- What aspects of technology should evolve to meet future expectations? Investigate methods of building software, and leveraging sensor plus mobility data
Explore the potential use of blockchain technology combining mobility IoT to create high value-added mobility services by looking at recent use cases
- In Fintech, much attention has focused on bitcoin and the development of the underlying blockchain technology. Hear the benefits of blockchain such as preventing the falsification of data
- Examine recent use cases of blockchain technology and explore how it can be applied to PHYD telematics insurance and sharing services
- Discover how to add more value to the mobility services combining mobility IoT and blockchain technology
Communication between cars and drivers is becoming increasingly crucial. Take a look at HMI usability issues and learn ways to build trust between the driver and connected car
- Gain insights from survey results and learn how HMI can add more value to driving experience using a voice recognition system
- Examine what works and what doesn't when it comes to prompting - â€˜How can I help you?â€™ vs â€˜Please say commandâ€™
- Hear recent learnings when it comes to developing a relationship between driver and system: e.g. learn how to reduce driver frustration by shorting the prompts and saying â€˜Noâ€™ to the requests which are not supported
Look at the challenges and solutions of gaining social acceptance for fully automated vehicles, and examine the roadmap for the early realization of safe and efficient transportation
- Dissect the decade long history of experimental research into autonomous vehicles and understand how the latest research is shaping the approach to full automation
- The advancement of autonomous driving technology alongside increased collaboration across industry, government, and academia is positively impacting areas outside automotive. Hear colloquial evidence how this is increasing Japanâ€™s overall competitiveness
- Learnings from Gunma prefecture: Get a clearer picture of the road to socially accepted autonomous driving. Benefit from research carried out across areas of industry, tourism, and depopulation in Gunma prefecture
Connectivity can be a complex beast. This presentation will attempt to clear up some confusion, and align industry expectations with how connectivity will evolve.
- Examine the challenges in creating a reliable, simple and cost effective connectivity strategy for mass market vehicles and the role of hardware therein
- Road map from current LTE to 5G: Get an overview of next-gen high-capacity LTE, cutting edge connectivity technology, and ultimately how 5G will be realized
- C-V2X and DSCR: Align your expectations and strategy with how the technology will actually develop, and understand why automakers will need to be ready for both
AI-powered sensors, the autonomous car that thinks, big data analysis that leverages machine learning: AI is must-have for the auto industry. We have gathered some of the hottest AI start-ups in automotive to unveil the developments in AI and their impact on the automotive industry moving forward. Each company will have 7 minutes to showcase their expertise before discussing key challenges in a Q&A session.
The world's leading auto manufacturers are ramping up in-house investments as well as acquisitions and partnership to prepare for a future dominated by electrified, connected and shared mobility platforms. This presentation will examine:
- Investment trends in autonomous driving
- Partnerships between auto OEMs and car sharing / ride hailing companies
- Case studies on utilization of autonomous driving for commercial applications e.g., truck platooning
*Presentation details TBA
User will face new risk as the technology is evolving. Learn how we can get rid of it to make user feel comfortable â€“ That is the key to gain the social acceptance
- Assess and dissect the current and future risk in the automotive industry from the insurance company point of view
- Understand the risk variance occurred with the rapid evolution of technologies and how to manage those new risk
- Examine how the insurance can contribute to increase the social acceptance on advanced vehicles - bridging the gap between makers and users
Explore how challenges such as lack of drivers, operational and safety issues, urban complexity can be addressed by leveraging the advanced technology such as ADAS, automation and AI and understand the impact on distribution
Analyze the global trend of autonomous vehicle testing for the commercial use and examine Japanâ€™s next move to catch up with the rest of the world
- 15 American states will be improving legislation and autonomous commercial vehicle testing has already started in Singapore. Understand the trend of global legislations
- With the consolidated service vehicle for passenger and cargo designed not only overseas but also in Japan, review who does what to realize the transportation for people and goods
- Understand the importance of building the integrated system to realize the new mobility services which are expected to secure the transportation for the elderly people
Understand how leveraging data is important to increase user satisfaction and mitigate regional mobility issues. Examine data gathered from EV charging stations and driverless buses in a retail environment.